Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Such a quitter



1. p. 366161 Olympia-Val-Hum-Fem-Law quit in the Dungeons of Doom on level 25. HP 134 (max 135)

2. p. 161143 Freia-Val-Hum-Fem-Law died in the Dungeons of Doom on level 14 [max 16]. Killed by a rock troll. HP - (max 115)

3. p. 140042 Bored-Mon-Hum-Fem-Law died in The Quest on level 16. Killed by a xorn. HP - (max 103)


It's been a long time. And a long time since my last proper game too. I had this unbeliavably long break (mmm, about 8-9 months?) in playing, because I had this game that went really well and I got much further than ever, but finally I was too scared to play anymore because I was afraid of dying.

I tried to play every now and then, but because I always had so long breaks, I couldn't remember what I had been doing, and it was really hard to get back on track again. I didn't even feel like starting any new games, because the unfinished one kept bothering me.

Then finally, few days ago, I decided to take at least a look to that infamous game, and maybe start a new one in case I didn't feel like playing that. And here comes the lesson: if ever you are a long time without playing NetHack, never ever type in commands you're not ready to bet your life (in NetHack) on about their meaning.

Here's what happened to me: I took a look to that unfinished game, and decided I wasn't going to play it right then. I wanted to move on to another game, but couldn't remember how to exit a game properly (and keep it saved). So, I managed to type in quit command, which, of course, doesn't save the game, but finishes it completely. And there they went, my 25 levels, my accomplishments in the bottom of the Gnomish Mines, my backpack full of diamonds and tricks, my pet Dragon, my everything!

I actually cried a good while as a result. Mostly though, because I didn't even get to see what I had accomplished, my inventory and attributes and such, because I panicked and sort of jumped over that part when I accidentally quit the game.

So, take my advice on it: Save the game, always! And remember to check the commands you type in, unless you're deadly sure of them.

Hereby I rest my case.


PS. And what really bugs me too, I didn't get a funny death out of that game to brag about.

No comments: